Thursday, October 02, 2008

"Wish they all could be California Giiirrrrrrrllllllllllsssss"

This is a good bye letter thing I wrote for my MOPS group I go to... I did change the ending a bit... (so if you are from my mops and have read it, skip to the very end...)

"California Girls" by the Beach Boys. My favorite song as a kid. Growing up, my parents always talked about moving to another state. Arizona, Colorado, Idaho, Montana... If we went there on vacation, and they remotely liked it, I could hear them talking about living there. As fun as living in another state sounded, I liked being a California girl. I would sing the Beach Boy's song word for word... thinking about how I liked being from California.
I have lived in Alta Loma since I was about 2 years old and I think living in California and being a native Alta Lomaian, I have taken some things for granted.
You have the beach and the mountains within an hours drive. We have Magic Mountain, Disneyland, Raging waters, Knotts Berry Farm... within a short distance to be able to enjoy a day of fun and excitment. We have LA so close. We have so many different types of restaurants to choose from. There is a starbucks around each corner. Target and Walmart are within five minutes of any home in Alta Loma. I have friends here that I have known forever. Mindi and I went to Kindergarten together. Megan, Erin and I went to High school together and were best friends. Jane and Jen both lived up the street from my childhood home. I know Alta Loma. I know the fastest routes to different locations. The weather here is pretty nice, even though we do complain every Summer about the heat. And my absolute favorite is that we have the beautiful Mountains that are painted so perfectly in front of us as we drive home or to work.
I think they have ONE starbucks there... so I have been told, I have yet to see one in Flowery Branch itself.
I am excited for this new chapter in my life; however I am also so torn with weird feelings and emotions that come with leaving. How do you say goodbye? For some, it might be forever. For others you know you will see again and will keep in touch through the years. How do you say to someone that you care so deeply for, "Bye... you mean a lot to me... don't forget me when I move.." ?
When a good friend of mine from work moved to Indiana, we both were bad with goodbyes that we agreed that when it came down to our final good bye, we would simply say, "See you later" as if we were going to catch a matinee together in a few days. I don't know if that is healthy, I don't know if that is the right way to say goodbye. It was just the way we did it.
I don't want to just leave without a proper goodbye. But I am not even sure how to word it... or do I? When I am face to face with people... I clam up... words escape me... I am not trying to be rude... I am just speachless...

7 comments:

Michelle said...

It's funny you write that you're a California girl! You'll see why tomorrow (or soon).
I hate good byes too. HATE IT! With anyone. I think the best way to do it with few words and a great hug. That usually makes me feel better when saying goodbye. Words are too difficult, especially when you are so close to someone. They'll know what you mean even if you don't say anything. :( :) <3M

Max the Dog said...

That was a pretty sad good-bye of a post, Stef. Even though I don't see you much, it really is too sad to say Bye, so I'll say 'See you later', too. Love ya, girl!!

Rachel said...

Comment for all Stef's friends. As a former California girl who blogs...
Please comment lots of Stef's posts from Georgia. Those comments are a great connection to "home."

If you don't blog yourself, email her updates on your own life too. Just because you read her blog, doesn't mean she is keeping up with your life.

When she comes to visit, make sure to be where she is. It is very difficult to see EVERYONE, and guilt is also a driving factor. She will have already traveled across the country, you can make it the last 20 minutes or so.

And if you are a really good friend, go visit her. Trust me it grants you immediate "best person on the planet" status.

If visiting is out a real letter or card is cool too.

Okay, that's enough of my rules for being a supportive friend when someone moves away. :)

Happy trails Stef. I hope you LOVE Georgia and are overwhelmed with a sense of peace there.

Lesley said...

Aww. I haven't even seen you in like 10 years and now I'm sad that you're leaving! I completely understand the goodbye thing, though. We're leaving in about a month and I'm just discovering: I can't do it all. I can't say goodbye to everyone, I can't see everything I want to see, I can't do everything I want to do. But a new chapter in our lives is so exciting. That's how you grow as a person, right? And now we have it easier with cell phones, email, etc. It's so much easier to keep in touch with people. I'm looking forward to the moment in Mexico when I'm looking out my window and realizing: This is home. It won't be for awhile, but it will happen!

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to wish your family and you all the best as you embark on your new journey. I hope that you all find the peace and happiness that you deserve. Hopefully Georgia will treat you well. You will surely miss California, as any Californian would when moving away, but you will have your family at your side to help you through it. If I may give you some advice, I know writing helps deal with the pain. So just write when you feel sad or when you wish you were back in California. Good luck and best wishes. I'm sure everything will be ok.

Helen said...

It's terribly hard to say good-bye, however, I feel that you need to say it. Yes, you'll see some again, and some not, but good-byes are a part of life as are hello's. Hugs, a special touch and a look can help soften the words. You'll do fine, because you are so special to those you'll say good-bye to.

I love you Stef. You are a great daughter-in-law. Very, very dear to me. See you soon.

Anonymous said...

A part of me is SO jealous that you get to leave California! My curly hair however does NOT envy the humidity of Georgia. Good luck to you and your family!