Thursday, October 23, 2008

Adjusting update

We are all adjusting pretty well.  We are in our home now... have been since monday night.  Jenny and scott have let us borrow their GPS (who I have named Bob) so we havent gotten lost recently :).  

Hunter has not started preschool.... the school I thought he was going to go didnt work out ... so we are looking into a preschool that we found that is in cahoots with the elementary schools here in Hall county.  It reminds me a lot like the preschool he attended back in Cali.  Mrs. Jones will be proud :).  He misses Mrs. Jones a LOT!!  Not as much as he misses nate, though... one conversation my mom had with Hunt went like this...

Hunt: Nana, do you still miss papa?

Nana:  Ya.. do you miss papa?

Hunt: No........ I miss Nate!

The kids are having a hard time adjusting to a new bed time... we are three hours ahead of all our california people... 

I think I found a mops group I might try.  There is a church 2 minutes away from our home that has a mops group... I am hoping to try that out next Tuesday and see what I think.  SO far I havent heard back from the chick in charge who I have emailed.  

This sunday we are going to attend a church in Jefferson (15 min from where we live).  We heard about them threw Steve and Kevin (some resource they have I guess).  Anyways... We had met the pastor and his wife back a year ago on line... and recently caught up with them and met them in person.  they seem so great and we look forward to seeing how their church compares to our beloved Flipside :).  They told me I could wear my flipflops... so sofar... a thumbs up :).

Haley and Hunter went to awanas last night....  they loved it.  I attended a womens "bible study" while they were at awanas.... (I used quotes because it wasnt like any bible study i have been too.... yet that is what they called it).  A paster wife got up and gave a talk.  It was realy nice, but it was so hard for me to focus on the talk... her accent was WONDERFUL!  I wanted her to say pharaoh over and over again... 

The weather here is AWESOME.... breezy, cold... but not too cold.... when I walked out to my car today I got hit by these things falling from the sky... it scared me at first... there were a ton of them... (you know me... my first thought was bugs)  then I realized it was leaves falling.... It is so pretty here!!!  

I had to go to the public health department here in gainesville, ga.  to get my kids into the school system.  While I was at this LOVELY environment... I got to learn some LOVELY facts about Georgia...
1. Georgia is the number one state with the highest % of syphilis
2. Aids is also HUGE here!
3.  Teen age pregnancy is VERY HIGH.  According to the lady who saw both Haley and Hunter... she told me that there is a lot of "Hanky Panky" that goes on here.... NICE
4. Abstences is attractive (that is a poster EVERYWHERE in this building)... the funny thing is is the guy in the picture isnt cute at all.... :)

It is pretty here and I love all the southern hostpitality.. but there are a few things i miss from Cali...
1. Vince's spaghetti
2. Flipside and friends
3. Family of course
4. Toilet seat covers (maybe this is why syphilis is big here...no just kidding)  it seems that there are no toilet seat covers in public bathrooms...
5. streets that have ONE NAME... I am not kidding every street here has more then one name.... mostly three.... winder hwy is also mundy mill rd and also known as 53 hwy.... and you need to know all these names because at anytime the street sign will show only ONE of these names.... AHHHHHHHH
6. Street lights... even though I love the stars
7. A fenced backyard for my dogs so I dont have to go outside in the cold to let them pee....
8. Faster service... like with TV, Phone and internet
9. a FLAT driveway.
10. Side walks... I miss walking Haley to school... you dont walk your kids to school.  When I signed Hay up for school I told them that we might walk... the lady told me not to do that... that no one walks to school... and it is true... there arent sidewalks....

Overall though... I do enjoy it here.  It is starting to feel less like a vacation and more like we are here to stay.  

Gotta go home now and feed my kids...
I really enjoy getting sweet txt messages and emails and a call for you all once in a while... It is very encouraging... :)


11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Awwe, you're making me want to move to GA. It sounds so pretty, except for the syphilis.

If you go to an online camping store (i forget the name, but will find out), you can order seat covers to carry with you in your purse.

I am anxious to hear how you like MOPS and the church. I hope you can find a friend soon.

Jennifer said...

Okay, here you go.. the website is www.rei.com. you can get 10 toilet seat covers for $1.75 I used these when I went over seas and they were a life saver.

Aaron, Allison, Kaitlyn, Mackenzie and Owen said...

I went to Awana when I was a kid, it is a really good program. I hope you find a good MOPS group, one that will love and appriciate you as much as this one does. :-)
Good luck finding a church that is the right fit for your family, we are praying for you all.

VandeFamily said...

I laughed when you wrote about the leaves scaring you - sounds like you!
It sounds like you are having a great time. Im glad Haley is happy in her new class and that she has made friends - way to go Hay!

Rachel said...

Rarely seat covers in public here either. Yuck! I just showed up at Mops when I went my first year here. I walked in and said I was new and wanted to join. Yeah, I was gutsy back then. There's also something called Moms Club that is a great way for moms to find each other, you can google it and see if there is one in your area. You are a posting queen, I love it!

Helen said...

Nana and Hunter's conversation was classic Hunter. So cute!

Your list of misses and loves reminded me so much of how I felt when we moved to Virginia.

I'd forgotten about the missing toilet seat covers. Not all states require them. We get used to those little luxuries, huh?

Ryan, Jane, Nate and Zach said...

Holy crap! Take your address off that post! Send that kind of stuff out in an email.

This was our conversation on the way home from Red Hill today:
Nate: We need to go see Hunter now.
Me: Remember Hunter moved far away to Georgia.
Nate: Oh, we can go to Georgia now.
Me: Not today it's too far, honey.
Nate: Yes we do!

Miss you.

Max the Dog said...

Wow, so much has happened in your life in the past two weeks, you must be exhausted. =( I love reading about your new adventure, it sounds so beautiful, and more relaxed and peaceful than CA (except for the syphilis, AIDS and teen pregnancy, of course). Hang in there, girl! And drive safe! HA!!!

Erin said...

Thats so sweet that Hunter misses Nate. He's a pretty likeable guy.

Also, I'm so proud of you for jumping in feet first and going to the women's bible study already! My bible study is like that (with a speaker) but we break up into small groups afterwards. I like it.

I think your mission while you're living in GA is to introduce toilet seat covers to public bathrooms. Buy them in surplus and then leave a box whenever you visit the potty in public. If Georgians don't know about toilet seat covers, then I can see why there's no uproar. How can they complain about something that they know nothing about? But, if you start leaving them around and people are exposed to these megnificent papers of hygene, then you might just see a proposition on your next ballot making toilet seat covers mandatory in all public restrooms (as they should be.) And you would be the on eto thank. Just a thought.

Christine said...

H friend! You can still make me laugh, even though you are thousands of miles away! Thank you! Let me know how that MOPS group goes. I can't wait to come visit you guys-it sounds so relaxing and beautiful in Georgia. When is the weather best there? I promise to let you know as soon as I get skype so we can still do our weekly thing. Meanwhile, I keep praying for you. Feel free to shoot me an email with any specifics ANY time. Love you! Mikah sends you kisses!

Gina said...

Oh yes...when we go back east they don't always have toilet covers and it always grosses me out! Especially if you really have to go and you have to take forever putting toilet paper piece by piece on the seats...

Can't wait to hear more updates!