Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Finally we get the kids swim lessons

Yes Haley is going into the first grade and doesnt know how to swim.... I am a horrible mom... but I would like to explain a few reasons why she is just now learning.... She has really bad ecxima. All her life really (all 5 1/2 years long). Her dermatologist told us that she should stay out of chlorine as much as possible.... so we have....

Well we are getting her skin better :) hopefully... and she NEEDS to learn to swim. So finally we are doing it.... You could keep her skin in your prayers.... so far she is having some reaction to the water.... it has only been two days too!

If you know my children you would think that Hunter would be ALL into the swim lessons and would be so excited to get in there and swim.... and you would think Haley would be timid and reserved and cry... (she is my fearful one - payback).... REALLY Haley wasn't as fearful as I thought she would be.... I think it is because I am not the one doing the swim lessons. Hunter clung to Coleen.... at one point I believe she said, "Hunter I cant breathe" because he was holding on so tight.

Coleen is great with the kids so encouraging and sweet. They are 100% better in the water with her then me. I tried to work with them today after lessons - HA.... Haley cried and whined the whole time and Hunter, well, he did good with me.
I asked Coleen what she expects my kids to be able to do after swim lessons.... she said that it differs from each kid.... I want to hear from you parents.... How long do you recommend me have them in swim lessons and when did your kids start swimming confidently????

Anyone need a swim teacher let me know.... I will gladly promote Coleen... she rocks :)

5 comments:

Michelle said...

I remember when I took swimming lesson. I did it for the whole summer when I was about 7. I don't remember if I was a good swimmer before that or just staying where I could touch but I was swimming on the deep end when I was done with my lessons. I even started going off the high dive. I think it was a lot of confidence that helped me. I loved the water!

Nicole Leonard said...

Don't feel too bad - Kait hasn't had any lessons either and she'll be 5 in November. :) We're thinking about getting her into lessons this summer. Maybe we'll have to talk to Coleen...

Gina said...

Oh awesome! I need to get Morgan lessons too. How young does Colleen teach? Can I get her info?

Helen said...

I'm 64 and can't swim. Haley and Hunter have a good start...

Coleen in REAL life said...

I am happy to be able to teach them! :) It was exciting to see all the progress they've been making in their lessons today!!