Saturday, November 22, 2008

Hunter, Haley and Jonah... and I guess Jim and I too

Haley is just blossoming here.  She loves school and is non stop talking from the moment I pick her up from school (this is something she didnt do back in California - first grade)  I really think placing her in kindergarten here has been the best choice!  She even got in trouble for talking at school.  This made me smile.  She told me RIGHT AWAY when she got in the car....  Her dresses are currently in time out for giving me attitude when I told her she could not wear a sun dress to school... it was in the forties outside....  Her attitude has improved since.

A conversation Haley and I had the other day:
H: Everyone at school says ma'am
Me: Really?
H: Yeah... 
me: do you?
H: No. I told my teacher that I dont say that
me: Oh... what did she say?
H: That I didnt have to but that she likes it when kids say it
Me: In Georgia kids say yes ma'am as a way of being polite.
H: Well, in California we didn't
Me: I know.  
H: mom... I think I am going to try to say ma'am.
Me: ok.
H: I have to go to the bathroom ma'am (and then she proceeded to get up and go to the bathroom... with a smile)  
when she came back... she used ma'am over and over again, never in the way they use it here.  "The dogs need to go outside ma'am" "Ma'am I love you" "Ma'am can I have some milk please ma'am?"

Hunter is still at home.  We are still in the process of finding the right school for him.  Mean while, he is going on "field trips" with mom or dad threw out the week to help keep him socialized.  He has a new friend, Grady, who he enjoys when he sees him.  He is getting along with Jonah much more... which we wasnt a few months ago.  Him and Joe are sharing a room and doing fabulous with that!   (Thanks Mrs. Jones for the social story that helped make this process easier... it really helped!)  Hunter and I are focusing on learning sign language while he is not in school.  He already knows how to sound words out and all.... he lacks the motor skills to write.... but we are working on that.  I mean, seriously, he is only 4! 

Conversation with Hunter:
H: mom... I miss Tennessee
 Me: You do huh?  What do you miss about Tennessee?
H: Nate
Me: Nate doesnt live in Tennessee
H: Where does Nate live?
Me: Where do you think Nate lives?
H: By our old home.... I miss our old home in Tennessee
me: We never lived in Tennessee.
H: Why... I like Tennessee... I want to live there.
seeing that this conversation was going no where... I informed Hunter that we lived in California (which he knows) and that we have never lived in Tennessee.... This is a conversation we have a lot.... sometimes it ends in tears about how he loves Tennessee.... sometimes he just moves on.... silly man.  Personally I think he just likes to say the word Tennessee.

Jonah has been struggling with his molars... a few weeks ago got his bottom two... runny nose.... FUSSY!!!  This week he got two top molars.... runny nose.... FUSSY!!!!  YUCK..... He loves to explore our new home.  He loves to get into Haley's littlest pet shop stuff, which of course makes her totally upset!  He thinks all animals say woof.... You know... basic one year old stuff.... into everything... wants to do everything by himself and what Haley and Hunter are doing.....

Jim and I...
I am sick with a head cold... yuck! And it is REALLY cold here!!!  At night the temps are in the 20's.  Jenny had left a cup of water in her car over night and in the morning it was ice.  I cant find any of the scarfs I made back in California.... and I could really use some snow gear... i think i might invent a nose warmer because my nose is what freezes the most outside.  When we take the dogs out to pee in the morning... they run out... pee and dash back inside.  (Except for when they see a squirrel.... then they chase it) 

Both Jim and I are on Facebook and are enjoying catching up with friends, both old and new on there.  If you arent on Facebook, you really need to join.  It isnt as time consuming as people may tell you it is.  It is only if you let it be.  It is connected to your email account so really, you have no need to go on unless you get an email that someone has contacted you.  I like being able to send video messages to friends and family.  Hunter and Haley have made some videos and sent them to friends via Facebook.  I am trying to figure out how they can send video messages to friends via email. 

Jim had a final interview with a jail job.  He walked away from it uncertain.  He knew he was very indecisive with some of the questions they asked him.  Mostly because he didnt know how he would respond when put in the situation given.  Would he shoot a 12 year old boy if he was aiming a gun at him?  One question that bothered me was how he would handle a situation in which a fellow employee was attacked by a riot in the prison he would be stationed at.  Oh and in the scenario it is only him and his co-worker and about 60 inmates.  The job was a position in the prison... as a guard.  He has gotten a job as a secret shopper where stores hire him to come in and shop and rates them.  It sounds fun.  His first assignment came and he is just waiting for one thing to arrive in the mail (the money to do the shopping).  It is like mission impossible.  They tell him who he is to interact with (hostess, or check out clerk, or a sales associate) and what he is to buy.... at times he may even be asked to be a disgruntled costumer.  He is excited!  

That is it for now... I know... long and boring.. :)  

I just want to say thanks to those who have been so encouraging and supportive.  I know it can be tough to keep up a relationship or friendship so far away.... I appreciate the efforts.  I know relationships take on new forms... mostly online.... :) but it still is nice to know you all are there!  

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Be careful with mystery shopping - just make sure it is a legitimate company. There are a lot of fraudulent checks going around for fake mystery shopping companies.

psmith said...

That Tennessee thing with Hunter cracks me up!!! I remember him talking about Tennessee when I was there! I agree I think he LIKES SAYING Tennessee! and...I LOVE the whole ma'am conversation! Haley Joy...you are such a .....JOY! heehee Nana

Michelle said...

Yeah Stef...I would be careful with the mystery shoppers. I just saw on the news that a lady was "taken" for thousands of dollars. She was supposed to buy a money gram from a specific location and rate their service. The check she was sent and deposited was fraudulent but by the time the bank figured it out, she had already purchased and sent the money gram. She was on the hook for all the money. I know there are legit ones out there- I used to get them when I worked at Sears.
Your kids are so funny. I saw a HUGE Thomas the Train train at Costco that kids can actually ride on...it was expensive but cute. I thought of Hunter. I'm happy to hear you guys are doing well...besides the cold...
Maybe I'll see you on Facebook!
<3M

Helen said...

Your blogs are never boring!!

Does Hunter remember being in Tennessee to visit Chris & Chenoa?