Sunday, March 30, 2008

The Tooth Castle

A few weeks back this was the conversation Haley and I had...
"Mama, is the toothfairy real?" she asks sounding like she thought the whole idea of the toothfairy is ridiculous.
"Do you really want to know?" I wanted to really know where she was at with this.
"Yes! I want you to tell me the truth!"
"You really want me to tell you about the toothfairy?" I ask very hesitantly.
"Yes!"
"No, I am the toothfairy"
Her eyes fill with tears, "No you're not mom! The toothfairy is REAL!" Then she runs out of the room... Awesome, I am the mother of the year.

A few weeks pass and we are in the car...
"Mama, I know who the toothfairy is." Haley said
Not wanting to get the tears going I played along this time... "You do? Who?" thinking to myself, it is me you dork, I have already told you.
"Well, mama, I was talking to Gracie and she told me it is her grandpa."
"So Gracie's toothfairy is her grandpa, who is your toothfairy?" Thinking, YES she got it and I am in the clear!
"No, mama. Gracie's grandpa IS the toothfairy."
"So, if you loose a tooth, Gracie's grandpa is going to come to our house while you are sleeping to get your tooth and leave a treat under your pillow?"
"Yep..."
"So you think the toothfairy is Gracie's grandpa? For every kid?"
"Yeah, I guess."

So Last night....

Haley looses her tooth.
"Mama, what do you think the toothfairy will bring me?"
"I don't know, what do you want the toothfairy to bring you?"
"Can I have a dollar bill?"
"Ok.."

So... I think she knows it is me... :)
Personally, I don't care... but I don't want to crush her heart! To see her cry back when she asked the first time... made me so sad... Last night, even though I figured she knows it is me, I crawled into her room and slowly reached under her pillow for the tooth. She was so excited to wake up to find a dollar bill under her pillow.

I asked her this morning who the toothfairy was and she told me it was a flying tooth pady with wings... Her whole body IS a tooth... Sounds scary to me. And she said that the toothfairy builds a castle with all the kids baby teeth... GROSS!

2 comments:

Helen said...

Boy, does she have an imagination or what? :) I think you handled the whole tooth fairy "truth" thing with a great deal of discernment. Good job!

Rachel said...

that is so tough to know what is right. this year we didn't address the Easter Bunny. We talked about the fun basket mommy and daddy gave you, and let's let mommy hide the eggs while we do puzzles. will that fly next year? no idea!

When I was teaching and kids asked questionable questions, I would say, "why do you ask?" or "What do you think?" That was usually enough to deflect the burden of answering from me. When I was in a real jam, i would say, "Now that is a question for your mom and dad." BUT THAT'S ME NOW! Ahhh! This parenting thing is a doozy!