Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Not like me

This morning Haley had a hard time going to school. She CRIED... threw a fit is a good term. It BROKE my heart.

She had diarrhea last night and this morning... I am sure was nerves. When I asked her to get her shoes on for school this morning (after I had already PROMISED to pick her up from school) she had a melt down. All of the shoes she had to choose from were dress like shoes (where the back of them is hard and would leave blisters if not use to them). This made her upset. She had blisters and they hurt her feet. So like any good mom, what did I do? Bribed her... I know... I broke down. I told her that her and I were going to go get shoes after school if she could just walk to the car. (Keep in mind that I have Jonah to get loaded up, another neighbor girl to take to school and I am trying to get this crying sweetie to the car so that we arent late).

She finally made it to the car... but refused to get out of it once we got to school.

After physically removing her from our van... and her wearing flip flops... I got her to her classroom... She REFUSED to go inside... she screamed... she cried... she had a super tight grip on my legs.... she would NOT go inside. Miss Burrows had to come out and get her to come inside.

Once inside... I knew she was still crying... but I knew she was ok... so I left. I had to come back and drop off dress code approved shoes because the flip flops were not acceptable. I left them in the office for her.

AHHH

The teacher inside me says... TOUGH LOVE... you need to let her go and she will be fine once you leave... the MOM in me screams to protect my sad little girl. And of course I left asking all sorts of questions like - would homeschooling Haley be better for her personality? - should we have waited to put her in school?

One of my fears as a parent is screwing up my kids... I know, I know... this is ONE DAY! But it is still in the back of my mind.

SO WHAT HAPPENED AFTER SCHOOL???

I arrived early to the school to pick up Haley so that when she walked out of the gate, she could see me right away. She was happy. I asked her teacher (not in front of Haley) how her day was and she said that Haley was the MOST social she has been! She had a great day. Miss Burrows said that she checked on Haley at both recesses and even asked Haley if she was ok... Haley was playing with friends and just having fun. She was one of the first kids to share a project they made in class in front of the whole class.... It was like this morning didnt even happen. PRAISE GOD!

Haley hasnt talked to much about school... not yet. She is not like me at all. She needs time to come home... veg and then on HER TERMS can she talk about school and her day!

5 comments:

Helen said...

You handled it well. I don't know if I could have done that. You're terrific!!

Nicole Leonard said...

"Screwing up my kids" is also a HUGE fear of mine. I always ask myself if we made the right choice about something or over-analyze the possible effects a decision will have on Kaitlyn. I'm hoping it's a sign that I love her so deeply, and not that I'm a neurotic mom. :)

But I think you did great with Haley yesterday morning. I know how your heart can break and literally feel like it's hurting when you have to leave your crying child. But you are a GREAT mom!

VandeFamily said...

Stef - You know you did the right thing - No one needs to tell you that. You did a great job and Haley is fine. I know you feel it is hard because she's not like you, but she obviously enjoys school and gets a lot out of it - hold off on the idea of home schooling. She's doing great!

Love ya, Sis!
Jenna

Erin said...

We wouldn't really be moms if we didn't screw 'em up a little! Moms are the people that keep therapists in business! :)

Helen said...

Gotta love Erin's comment! :)